Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jaffa Choc cupcakes with Jaffa buttercream

These little Jaffa delights turned out brilliantly. Ta da!



Jaffa Choccie Goodness

We are heading to Sydney next week to celebrate the engagement of M & C. I am really looking forward to it. C has asked if I would bake some cupcakes for their party – errr…a big YES yes yes!! They would like 12 jaffa choc and 12 vanilla and lemon cupcakes.


I made a trial batch of the wheat free Jaffa Choc cupcakes on sunday with my trusty GF self raising flour and they worked a treat. The zest from the orange gave the cakes a beautiful zing. I finely grated a quarter of a block of dark chocolate and swirled it into the cake mixture whilst also using it as a sprinkle on top of the buttercream.


I was struggling for a while deciding how I could make orange icing for a chocolate cake that would actually taste great and manage to be the correct shade of orange for the engagement party.


The recipe I was working from suggested a Jaffa chocolate ganache for the top but there’s no way of making dark chocolate turn orange is there!?! I will mix the next batch with C in Sydney and she will be able to judge the orangeness before I go too far and make orang-utan coloured cupcakes.


I opted for an orange buttercream recipe that I found in one of my many books, the tartness of the freshly squeezed orange juice cut through the confectioners’ sugar beautifully and matched the cake perfectly. I'll be trying the lemon cupcakes this sunday





Recipe – adapted from ‘Cupcake Creations’


Ingredients
3 Eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar,
1/2 cup milk (I used rice milk)
1.5 cups of self-raising flour (i used gluten free flour)
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
1 teapsoon vanilla extract
juice of 1 orange
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup dark chocolate, finely grated


Fresh orange buttercream2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
150g unsalted butter at room temperature
Juice from 1 whole orange
Jaffa Choc cupcake recipe




  1. Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a 12 tin cupcake pan with cupcake wrappers.
  2. Beat the eggs, butter and sugar together until pale and creamy
  3. Add milk, flour cocoa powder and vanilla and stir to combine. Beat for 2 minutes until light and creamy. Add juice, zest and chocolate and mix gently.
  4. Divide the mixture between the cupcake papers and bake for 18-20 minutes until the cakes are risen and firm to touch.
  5. Allow to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool fully before icing.
  6. To make the buttercream, combine all of the ingredients into one bowl and mix well. After mixing, taste the buttercream and add more juice if required until you are happy with the orangeness of the topping. When the mixture is smooth ready for decorating add the contents into your piping bag and pipe away!

    Cakes will last for a few days in an air tight container.










No comments:

Post a Comment