Thursday, September 15, 2011

Oat cookies and track pants

This week has seen an incredible effort on my part to go to the gym everyday. I’m proud (if somewhat knackered). My gym efforts are to work off the delicious desserts and good I have been savouring at my pastry chef course on a Saturday. I’ve been working out so hard my track pants have a small hole in the leg (don’t know how it happened) so that means tonight I will be gym clothes shopping.


D & I are museli bar fanatics but our cupboards were museli bar bare so I resorted to an old oat cookie recipe which I hadn’t made in ages. I was itching to bake – you know how it is. The cookies have just enough flour (gf flour) to hold them together whilst they bake. I will endeavour to make another batch, simply so I can take some pictures.


The recipe suggests using 1 cup of sultanas but I added in 1 cup of fruit and nut mix instead, the nuts are sublime and extra crunchy after baking. The finished biscuits were oaty pillows of fruity goodness. Maybe next time I will add a touch of cinnamon to balance with the creaminess of the oats.

 
You need


  • 1.5 cups of oats
  • 80g unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 125g raw sugar
  • 1 cup plain flour (gluten free flour)
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 1 cup of fruit & nut trail mix (finely chopped if pieces are very large)
Prepare
  1. Preheat oven to 170 – 190 degrees, line two cookie trays with baking paper
  2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
  3. Stir the melted butter, honey and egg into the dry ingredients until well mixed.
  4. Make one cookie by dropping 2 tbsp of the mixture onto the cookie tray and press lightly on top to squash together.
  5. Repeat until you have filled both trays.
  6. Bake in oven for 10-12minutes, until golden in colour
  7. Once cooled store in an airtight container.
  8. Enjoy while still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment