A shabby chic Happy Birthday to me
I made a disastrous attempt to make some chocolate mud cupcakes for my birthday. Disastrous as in: they exploded in the oven kind of disaster. Given that I’m nearly a fully graduated pastry chef I was shattered that I couldn’t seem to whip up a simple batch of cupcakes. Having realised that I used the wrong recipe I breathed a sigh of relief, laughed at myself and decided to turn the novelty cake we were making in class into my birthday cake.
|Pretty fondant flowers|
We were given a brief six weeks ago which stated that we had to make and design a novelty cake for either a wedding or a birthday. I originally decided to make a wedding cake but I now think the colours are not quite right for a wedding so it became my birthday cake. The cake inside is a light style fruit cake which I masked in chocolate ganache before covering it in fondant and decorating with the flowers.
I built the cakes over two lessons and I was amazed that it all came together given it was the first time I had attempted to decorate a cake covered in fondant.
I turned 29 this year so happy birthday to me – almost 30 – yikes!
Here are some things I’m looking forward to in the coming year:
· Graduating from college as a fully fledged pastry chef (and having my Saturdays back!),
· Going to the Gold Coast next month for a warm break from
’s winter, Melbourne
· Going back to
to see my family & friends England
· Spending more time in Howqua in the country,
· Celebrating my second wedding anniversary J
· Completing a 10km run in October,
· Having my parents visit
in March, Australia
· My brother and his partner arriving to live in
for a while next year Melbourne
· Eating lots of cake and trying new recipes